Bagni San Filippo is a small village not far from the slopes of Monte Amiata, famous for millennia for its thermal waters that it is believed were used from as early as Etruscan times and then well-documented thanks to a Roman settlement that was established in the Imperial era.
As well as the curative properties of the sulphurous waters, this spa village has been made famous by the characteristic Fosso Bianco with its white calcium deposits which form small waterfalls of hot water. At the beginning of the XIX century new thermal spas were built and the village’s potential was extended by transforming some buildings into hotels, which still exist today.
The name of the village comes from its church dedicated to St Philip the Apostle. Legend has it that St Philip Benizi lived as a hermit here in 1269.